Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Life is bitter sweet

The last 24 hours have been a rollercoaster. Yesterday I learned that my (and many others) dear friend and colleague Jimmy passed away. For those that knew him, he had a heart of pure gold and was dearly loved by so many people. Last night was a bit of a shocker to say the least but I have pulled myself together today.So, its been a little bit of sad endings and new beginnings. Today I started at ISAP, where I will be for the next year. It is a totally amazing hive of clinical research into substance dependence, and most importantly, in my fragile state today the people were amazingly nice and friendly. I would have like to take some photos to show you them... and the building. However, I thought I might alarm folks a little by whipping my camera out the first day in the office. Instead I took some photos of my walk into work (actually the walk home, but the walk there was the same but backwards). There are there amazing jacaranda trees everywhere with purple flowers (see exhibit A above). I walk down veteran ave most of the way and as yesterday was memorial day the memorials were covered in flags (they do love a flag I have noticed, see also exhibit A above). Some of the locals explained that memorial day now has a broader meaning for a lot of people, being used to spend time with family and honour loved ones more generally (which is nice and not so warlike).

Anyway, in amongst my mixed emotions the walk was filled with flowers and spring and new hope. It is still a terribly sad time for everyone that knew James and I am especially thinking of everyone at TP (including alumni) who I am sure are feeling the loss incredibly. Thank you to everyone that has reached out to share their thoughts make me feel like I am less alone.

1 comment:

  1. Jacarandas in June? That's not right. Being from Qld, Jacarandas come out in November to remind you it's exam time, which explains my fear of those purple flowers.
    And although you're far away, you're not alone. We're all thinking of you and hoping you're doing ok. James was a lovely man and it was a joy to have known him.

    ReplyDelete